A HISTORY OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH,
RAHWAY NEW JERSEY
Saint John the Baptist Russian Orthodox Church
was founded in 1915 by a diverse group of Slavic Orthodox Christians.
Many of the families coming from regions under the control of the Austro-Hungarian
Empire in present day Slovakia, Ukraine, Poland and Belarus. Regardless
of the village they called home, each of these families shared a common
heritage and Tradition - they understood themselves to be Orthodox Christians.
In 1915, the community purchased the Old Lutheran Church on West Grand
Avenue in Rahway, and would use the building for the next 55 years. The
first Liturgy was served on February 12, 1916 by Reverend Stephen Sipaida
of blessed memory. Over the years the community grew, families who had
been traveling south to Perth Amboy every Sunday joined Saint John’s as
it was closer to their homes. In addition, the manufacturing centered
around Rahway attracted many families, some relocating from the coal towns
During the years in the “Old Church“, many
traditional elements were added to the congregational style building.
In 1918 a cupola was added to the church and three bronze bells of a high
quality were purchased and hung in the tower. By 1931, a two tier Iconostasis
had been completed and a carved canopy stood over the Prestol. In 1916
land for a cemetery was purchased and by 1920 a Rectory had been constructed
on land adjacent to the Church.
The women of the Parish organized an Altar
Guild in 1928, to aid the Priest and Church Board with the physical upkeep
of the Temple. By the 1940’s, a Sunday School Program was established
with programs offered for both children and Adults. At the same
time, English was introduced in the services for the benefit of the children
and for those who were approaching the faith from the local community.
Currently, services are celebrated primarily in English, with some prayers
and hymns in Church Slavonic. By the 1950’s, the “Old Church” began
to show its age, structural failures; furthermore, it’s insufficient size
for the growing parish prompted the establishment of a building committee
The resulting work of the committee is the present contemporary styled
Temple which was completed in 1972. Traditional elements were maintained
in the design of the building such as the three onion-shaped cupolas which
adorn the roof and the Temple’s interior arrangement which is well proportioned,
affording a traditionally shaped Narthex, Nave and Altar with superb acoustics.
(Above) St John's R.
O. Church - May 2003
(Below) Parish Rectory today.
In 1985, the Rectory was sold to a local resident and was moved across
the street to make room for a modern Rectory. In the 1990’s a program
was begun to replace the original Iconostasis with one designed and scaled
for the larger Temple constructed in the 1970’s. Through generous
donations and fund raising efforts, a new three tier Iconostasis was purchased
complete with Byzantine styled Iconography. A project to illumine
the walls began in 2001.
The once white walls
and ceiling have now become the background for numerous Icons and Byzantine
styled decorative elements.
During the Spring of
2003, a little over four acres of urban land adjacent to the Church property,
was restored by Union County as a natural wetland and wildlife observation
area. The area is now a part of the Union County Parks System and
has been named in memory of parishioner Michael Bezega of blessed repose
. Michael answered the call to serve our country during the Vietnam War
and on June 22, 1970 he gave his life in the service of our country. In
recognition of this sacrifice, the park was named in his honor. Together,
the Church, the well tended grounds and the Parkland, are a witness of
the presence of a vibrant Orthodox Christian Community in Rahway.
Our most recent project is the establishment of a library. Through a generous
gift, the project has begun with over one hundred texts, in English and
Russian, on the Orthodox Faith, Traditions, and Customs as well as the
Artistic and Literary accomplishments of the Slavic people. Currently
the Library is open after the Divine Services and by appointment. It offers
a contemplative and quiet environment to read and study the works of our
people and the Christian Faith.
Today, people from many different backgrounds call Saint John’s home.
We all come together with a single purpose, to glorify God in the ancient
and true worship of the Holy Orthodox Church.
(Click on images below for a larger view)